- Amateur: Defined as a student or person who does not make a living as a
Dance Instructor, Performer, Dance Competitor or Dance Adjudicator and who
never receives financial compensation for these activities.
- Rising Star/Semi-Pro: Defined as a
person who receives financial compensation as a Dance Instructor, Performer,
Dance Competitor or Dance Adjudicator, but who does these activities on a part-time
basis, and earns the majority of their income in another profession.
- Professional: Defined as a person who receives financial compensation as a
Dance Instructor, Performer, Dance Competitor or Dance Adjudicator, and who
makes the majority or entirety of their income from these activities.
- Pro-Am Division: Defined as one Professional Dancer (Instructor) dancing with one
Amateur Dancer (Student) to form a partnership, or a group of Amateur and
Professional dancers performing together to form a team.
- Amateur Division: Defined as two Amateur dancers or students dancing together to
form a partnership, or a group of Amateur dancers performing together to form a
- Same Sex Divisions: Defined as an all-Male or all Female Partnership or Team.
- Junior Division: Defined as a couple whose partners are 12-17 years of age.
- Pre-Teen Division: Defined as a couple whose partners are under 12 years of age.
- 40+ Division: Defined as an Amateur couple whose partners are both over 40
years of age, or a Pro-Am Couple whose Amateur partner is over 40 years of age.
- Heated Divisions: Defined as a category where all partners or couples dance
together on the stage or floor to music that is selected by the organization or
deejay. Heats generally last 1.5 minutes and are Just Dance divisions. All
Heated Divisions for this competition are Just Dance divisions (see below).
- Showcase Divisions: Defined as a category whereby the partnership or team showcases
choreography, and dances to the music of their choice. Showcase divisions mean
the competing couple or team will do a solo performance.
- Just Dance: Defined as dance only. No lifts, tricks, flares or drops
permitted whatsoever. This is a lead/follow division, rather than
choreographed, designed to show the ability to connect with one's partner and
display timing, musicality and creativity to whatever music is played.
- Tricks, Dips, Drops,
Leverage Moves and Flares
: A trick is defined as any
movement that requires the support of the other partner to maintain. This is
regardless of whether the feet remain on the floor or not.